Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Hi, My Name is Sue, but you can call me Stella

I encountered someone named Brittney the other day. Except she didn't spell it that way. N-O-O-O-O-O...that would be "so totally already done, like..." She spelled it (I am not making this up) "Brytnii". Swear t'GAWD. Brytnii. Now living in Southern California brings me face to face with all kinds of unconventional conventions, for lack of a better term. Tupperware parties hosted by latino drag queens is one thing, (one wonderful, delightful thing actually), and botox parties are another. But I want to bitch slap anyone who tortures words and names like that. In order to combat this frustration, I've decided that if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. To that end, I'm changing the spelling of my name and that of my husband. It won't be easy, we'll have to keep reminding people that we don't spell our names the traditional way, and people will probably mispronounce them all the time, but at least we will be different, like everybody else here in Orange County. Sincerely, Myk and Sioux Cassidy

No comments:

Post a Comment